I decided to stop being lazy and get around to those upgrades I needed for my site and server:
– Upgrade PHP to 5.2.5 and Apache 2.2.6
– Upgrade Gallery2 and the WPG2 plugin for WordPress
– Upgrade WordPress to 2.3.1
First, I should admit that I do use the EasyApache installer from WHM, as it has vastly improved to the point where I don’t have to troubleshoot its builds afterwards, nor do I have to go back and reinstall eAccelerator and Suhosin – The current release of cPanel now includes those options and I must say that they have become rather flawless. In other words, it saves me the time of compiling shit by hand when all I have to do is click a few buttons and it’s all done.
Third, since my last WordPress upgrade I had numerous problems with plugins and as a result I had to tweak most of them because their developers hadn’t released an upgrade yet. I finally decided to just suck it in and upgrade, though it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. There are a few things to point out:
– Ultimate Tag Warrior has been discontinued due to WordPress 2.3.1’s native support for tagging. If you’re a UTW user like me, you can still keep your sexy tag cloud by follow these steps:
- In your admin section, go to Manager > Import and use the UTW import tool to convert your UTW tags to WordPress tags. Then go to Manage > Categories and convert your categories to tags too, if they were linked to UTW before.
- In your theme code where you normally would display your categories, change the code to <?php the_tags(”); ?> instead of <?php the_categories(”); ?> or whatever it was before.
- Since your tag cloud is now gone, remove the UTW code and replace it with <?php wp_tag_cloud(”); ?>. You can read more about configuring the tag cloud here.
Since removing UTW and upgrading my plugins and WP, I noticed that my site loads a ton faster though, so I’m overall glad that I finally got around to doing this stuff. If you’re lazy like me and still haven’t upgraded to WP 2.3.1, below is a helpful guide on how to do so: